Beginning in 1958, Cosmopolitan advertised Little Miss Ginger as "the only all vinyl eight inch slim doll" and she was in fact the tiniest of the vinyl glamour dolls. Shortly afterward, Nancy Ann Storybook Dolls introduced the eight inch version of their Miss Nancy Ann which appears to have been made from the same molds.
Little Miss Ginger has a rigid vinyl body with softer vinyl head. She is jointed at the neck, shoulders and hips. Her blonde, red, or brunette hair is rooted and styled into a short fluffy bob. She has gray or brown sleep eyes with molded lashes and brown painted lashes at the outer corner of each eye. Her red lips match her red finger- and toenails. The vinyl on these dolls tends to pale or darken over time, with the result that different parts of her body may be different colors.
This doll is well marked and easy to identify. She is marked "Ginger" on the back of her neck and "Little Miss Ginger" on her back. Under each arm and inside each thigh she is marked "LMG".
Little Miss Ginger was available as a basic doll in white, black or red bra, panties and shoes. She was also sold dressed in various outfits. One piece of clothing from each outfit is tagged "Fashions for Little/Miss Ginger/Cosmopolitan Doll & Toy Co./ Jamaica, NY U.S.A".
Note: the number at the end of some of the descriptions refers to a source where a photo of the outfit may be found. See legend at bottom of page.
- Red cotton dress with white teardrop print, white lace at hem, wide white organdy collar; red net hat with white flowers; white "Little Miss Ginger" purse; hose; white shoes. See photo in #2.
- Yellow cotton sleeveless top with lace trim; black cotton skirt with yellow and gray print and yellow elastic waistband; shoes, possibly yellow or black.
- Pale pink taffeta slip (or nightie?) with two rows of lace trim at hem; matching panties.
- White fuzzy long sleeve sweater with rick rack accent on front; black velveteen skirt with rick rack accent and red taffeta lining; matching hat; red taffeta panties; ice skates.
- Navy polished cotton dress with white polka dots, white organdy collar; navy shoes.
- Pink cotton dress with white polka dots; shoes, probably white. See photo above right.
- Red, white, green and black plaid taffeta dress with red ribbon sash; matching plaid hair bow with red ribbon and hairpin; white panties; red shoes.
- White taffeta dress with turquoise and pink floral print; black hair (?) ribbon; white panties; hose; black shoes.
- Navy, blue and white plaid v-necked dress. See photo in #1.
- White vinyl raincoat with red trim, hood and belt; white shoes.
- Red pants trimmed with white; white blouse with red ribbon; white shoes.
Sources for this page include:
- "Dolls and Accessories of the 1950s" by Dian Zillner
- "Glamour Dolls of the 1950s and 1960s" by Polly and Pam Judd.
Copyright 1999-2000 by Zendelle Bouchard.