Elise’s ballerina outfits can be tricky to identify because most of them are very similar with only small changes from year to year.
Please note: Alexander used the same stock numbers repeatedly. The number at the end of the description refers to the source where a photo of the outfit may be found. See legend at bottom of page.
|#1635 – 1957 – Pale or deep pink or blue ballerina tutu with attached nylon tulle skirt, satin bodice decorated with flowers has satin ribbon shoulder straps that tie in back; circlet of flowers in hair; pink tights; satin ballet slippers. Some have skirt sprinkled with sequins.
Photo courtesy of eBay seller luving_dolls
#1712 – 1958 – Pink ballerina costume; same as #1635 of 1957.
#1725 – 1958 – Pink ballerina tutu has skirt of multiple layers of nylon tulle, attached satin bodice with ruff of pleated tulle around neckline and floral sash; floral headpiece; nylon tights; satin ballet slippers. B&W in #1, color in #7
#1810 – 1959 – Gold Ballerina outfit with attached full gold net skirt, neckline trimmed with sequins; gold sequined tiara; pink tights; gold ballet slippers; gold earrings. Matches Cissette outfit #713. Color in #2 and #12
#1720 – 1960 – Ballerina tutu of shell pink pleated nylon tulle with satin bodice, decorated with rosebuds and rhinestones; shoulders straps are of tulle and there is a tulle sash gathered at the waist; coronet of flowers; nylon tights; ballet slippers. B&W in #1
#1825 – 1961 – Ballerina tutu with multilayered tulle skirt and taffeta bodice trimmed with flowers; shoulder straps are of tulle; coronet of flowers; tights; ballet slippers. B&W in #1
#1740 – 1962 – Tulle ballerina tutu in blue, pink or white has bodice decorated with sequins, attached tulle skirt sprinkled with rosebuds; pink hose; pink ballet slippers; rhinestone earrings. The blue version has gold sequins with a matching sequined headband; white version has white sequins; pink version has pink sequins and a headband of rosebuds. Color (blue version) in #2 and #6
|#1720 – 1963 – Pink or Blue ballerina costume of satin bodysuit; separate pleated tulle tutu skirt with tiny pink roses, blue satin ribbon waistband; headband of pink roses; pale pink tights and ballet slippers; tiny rhinestone earrings.|
|#? – Year? – Blue tutu has satin bodice, gathered tulle around the armholes but not the neckline; pleated tulle skirt; spray of pink rosebuds hangs from waist and pink rosebuds scattered on skirt; tights and ballet slippers. Sold as an extra outfit.
Photo courtesy of eBay seller your-favorite-doll.
Sources for this page include:
- “Madame Alexander Catalog Reprints 1942-1962, Vol. 1″ published by Barbara Jo McKeon
- “Madame Alexander’s Ladies of Fashion” by Marjorie Sturges Uhl
- “Madame Alexander Collector’s Dolls” by Patricia R. Smith
- “Madame Alexander Collector’s Dolls: Second Series” by Patricia R. Smith
- “Madame Alexander Collector’s Dolls Price Guide #23″ by Linda Crowsey
- “Madame Alexander ‘Little People'” by Marge Biggs
- “The Golden Age of American Dolls 1945-65″ by Cynthia Gaskill
- “Glamour Dolls of the 1950s and 1960s” by Polly and Pam Judd
- “American Dolls From The Post-War Era, 1945-1965″ by Florence Theriault
- “Patricia Smith’s Doll Values, Antique to Modern, Fifth Series”
- “Madame Alexander Catalog Reprints 1963-1972, Vol. 2″ published by Barbara Jo McKeon
- “Collector’s Encyclopedia of Madame Alexander Dolls, 1948-65″ by Linda Crowsey
Copyright 1997-2014 by Zendelle Bouchard